Everyone has noticed it, especially when you buy from a shop or go to your bank. Those sites are using HTTPS instead of HTTP, does it effect your SEO? Get ahead of your competion and act now!
What Is HTTPS?
The “s” at the end of the “http” part of a URL makes the website secure. HTTPS (Hypertext Transport Protocol Security), sites include the SSL 2048-bit encrypted key and protect a site connection. When installed on a web server, a SSL certificate activates the padlock and the https protocol and connections from a web server to a browser will be secured.
SSL Secure websites can protect a visitor connection by securing information in the following three layers:
- Encryption ensures that a visitors activity cannot be tracked or their information stolen
- Data integrity prevents web files from being corrupted as they’re transferred
- And authentication protects against attacks and builds visitors trust
How do SSL certificates affect search engine rankings? There are some statistics
– 82% of users would abandon a purchase if data was not sent over an insecure connection.
– Google has hinted towards a fully secure web in the future by saying they continue to work towards a secure web.
– Google Chrome labels HTTP sites as insecure, warning visitors that the connection is not secure.
– HTTPS sites load much faster and are more likely to rank better.
– Multiple studies have found a connections between HTTPS and higher search rankings.
– HTTPS has been a criteria in Google’s tanking since 2014
Although only less than 1% of all websites are secure. Google has encouraged webmasters to make the migration to a secure site for a while now and has been giving an increasing amount of weight in ranking boosts to websites that are HTTPS. Keep in mind, those sites ranking on page one of Google are also likely following many other best practices in order to gain and retain their valued page one real estate, so it’s not a surprise that of those ranking on page one, more are following Google’s heavy suggestion toward having a secure site!
As Neil Patel mentions in this article, Moz also found a slight correlation between HTTPS and higher search rankings but combined with other factors and reflecting what Google had previously stated—it would act as a tie breaker, not a major ranking factor.
Better rankings can give more traffic (the more visitors see your site, the more clients you’ll get). When visitors are looking at the search results, they may see a secure site as a signal of trust and click that website over another, non-secure site, thus improving your site’s click-through-rate.
Chrome is going labeling sites as not secure since October 2017
Chrome is making it really obvious when a website isn’t secure.
If we are on website with that indicator, especially an eCommerce site, we will not staying or making a purchase!
Be Proactive & Act Now
At the moment the SSL SEO is making a bigger impact and with google moving to a more secure web in the future there is really no reason not to run HTTPS.
Here at WebZer we can intregrate HTTPS in any website and the cost are really low compared to the benefits.
We can supply a SSL Certificate for one year including installation for £29.95
Let the WebZer team help you get secure now!
Get in touch with us today!